1909Reginald Weston was born in London (1909 ? d. Paris 1967). He moved at the age of six to Egypt. He visited Paris for the first time at the age of seventeen but the stay was short and he left to live in Palestine in 1936 becoming a journalist and a founding editor of the Jerusalem Post. Weston had already begun to paint and his exhibition at the Schlosser Gallery in Jerusalem in 1939 was a landmark event as the first exhibition of local abstract art in what was then Palestine firmly inscribing him in the avant-garde. Shortly afterward, he took a post teaching at the Bezalel Art School where he remained until deciding to move himself, wife and two children to Paris where he took up the life of a full time artist in the cauldron of creativity that was Montparnasse in the late 1940?s & 1950?s. His success was immediate, with an exhibition at the Dina Vierny Gallery in 1948. During the 1950?s, while maintaining ties with Israel, Weston also exhibited internationally in London, New York, Brussels and Tel-Aviv.
In 1955 Weston took a major commission painting large format murals on panels for the Israeli shipping company Z.I.M. and the Elie de Rothschild Foundation. The works were on paper but set onto formica panels and required the use of factories for fabrication. This was a departure from Weston?s normal small format style of working ? usually on paper.
Following his passing in 1967, Weston?s wife Miriam made his former studio in Tel-Aviv available as a creative arts centre for young talent and disabled artists and a number of exhibitions were held there in what was known as ?the Atelier Reggie Weston? from 1972 ? 1994. He left a wife and two children, one of whom, Michael is also a painter living in Paris and Brittany and has had four solo exhibitions at Annandale Galleries.
Reginald Weston had 17 exhibitions from 1939 ? 1964. He was offered a beach property by the government in recognition of his service to the arts in Israel. Notable exhibitions include: Schlosser Gallery, Jerusalem (1939), Galerie Dina Vierny Paris (1948), Redfern Gallery London (1950-1960), Galerie Georges Giroux Brussels (1958) F.A.R. Gallery New York (1960) a major retrospective at the Tel-Aviv Museum of Modern Art (1963) and the Helena Rubinstein pavilion Tel-Aviv (1963-4). Notable museum collections include: Museum of Israel, Jerusalem, Museum of Modern Art, Tel-Aviv and the Museum Of Modern Art New York. His work is in numerous private collections in France, USA and Israel including the Baron Elie de Rothschild and the famous violinist Isaac Stern.